Saturday, May 30, 2009

Adhesives and wedding cards

I don't know why but I LOVE to make wedding cards! Something about the elegant and pretty mix involved just makes me want to do more and more. Here is an easy one that I did last weekend for the store. I love the Textile Cuttlebug Folder for that Shabby Chic inked look, and that's exactly what I did here. After I embossed the white cardstock, I inked over it very lightly with "angel pink" Tsukineko Momento ink. If you're careful, you can just use the whole ink pad and no need to use brushes or foam. The raised embossing makes it easy to ink.

I framed that piece of paper on to the medium purple cardstock. I punched the bottom with a Martha Stewart Doilie Lace border punch before adhering the white. Then I matted them both on the dark purple, and adhered it to the card base. I cut the scalloped oval with my Spellbinders Nestabilities and Cuttlebug and then stamped and embossed the sentiment. The sentiment is an old rubber stamp I've had for years from the Dollar Store :) The embossing powder is by Stampendous.

The thing that really makes this card is the trim. I got it at Walmart in their trim section for half off last month, KNOWING full well that I'd use it all up on wedding cards, LOL! Adhering fancy trim like this can be difficult, and you don't want it coming off. Let me share a pretty foolproof way of doing this. First of all, I take a very strong adhesive like 3L Craft & Photo Tape. It's a strip adhesive, it's clear and not very wide so you can't see it through the trim. After I put the adhesive where I want the trim, I take my liquid adhesive (I use 450 Quick Dry because it's really strong and clear and super quick drying!) and make dots on the ends and two dots in the middle of the strip of adhesive. Now why the 2 adhesives you ask? The photo & craft tape holds the fancy trim in place very well, but not quite as well as the liquid adhesive. Once the liquid adhesive is on there, it's on for good. The Craft & Photo tape allows the trim to stay in place securely while the liquid adhesive dries, making sure it doesn't slip or slide.

TFL!

No comments:

Post a Comment